Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Good and the Bad

Families are the greatest things in the world. They love you, they hate, they fight with you, but most of all they are always there for you. I love my family very much. They are a special part of me that I hope will never change. There are two specific people in my family that have been through a lot, fighting for their life and to death with having so much accomplished. I am very proud to be apart of my family because of these two people, these two people being my grandfather and my mother.

My grandfather started his life in Italy and came to America with very little looking for a better life just like everyone else was. Unlike most the people that couldn’t find a better life, my grandfather did, by working hard. He started out in the pizza business not knowing anything, and learned how to do everything and eventually owned his own pizzeria with one of his close friends. Being an extremely dedicated worker he worked so much that I hardly ever saw him, but I made time to see him every week, even though he came home late at night. My grandfather worked so hard all for his family.

A few years ago I lost my grandfather to cancer. For a few short months he struggled for his life and it was very hard on everyone. It saddens me every time I think about him, but I try to think of the happy memories I was able to share with him. I remember a few times when he would let me help out in his pizzeria, showing me and letting me make pizza. It made me so happy being able to help him. I am very proud of my grandfather because of how he struggled in life with little choices available and then worked to succeed in both business and family. My grandfathers pizzeria is still open today as it’s been for the past thirty years or so and I would love to accomplish something as big as his pizzeria.

My mom is so special to me because she has fought for her life about eight years ago when she was diagnosed with cancer. I was little when she was diagnosed so I didn’t understand much about cancer, but I knew enough to know that my mom was in trouble and that I needed her. My mom used to do everything for my brothers and I so we knew we couldn’t lose her. My mom is the only one we could depend on and she tries to depend on us, but we usually fail, so I admire her for being able to do so. With the good and bad memories that came and went, I am so very thankful that I am sharing more great memories with my mom now. I believe my mom has accomplished so much taking care of us and protecting us three kids by herself, while also trying to take care of herself.

Luckily I was able to share fun memories with both my mother and my grandfather before either one of them got cancer. In the summer of 1999 my grandfather took everyone to Disney World in Florida. It is memorable because it was the first time I had ridden on an airplane and the first time going to Florida and Disney World. I felt scared at first riding on the plane, but then I sat back and watched a movie and before I knew it I started seeing beautiful palm trees for the first time. I remember the fun we had on all the rides in Disney and the wonderful walks we took looking at things we had never seen before. One specific thing I remember about this great vacation was this cool adventurous mini golf course we went to. It was an awesome golf course with lots of interesting holes, where you had to go around things and wait for things to move out of the way in order to shoot. At the end of the game I remember a big oyster shell hole where you had to make a shot in the oysters opening and closing mouth and the best part was that my older brother and I did it and won a free games. It was such an amazing trip and I’m glad I got to enjoy it with my mother and grandfather, while things were still okay.

No comments: