Monday, October 8, 2007

Baseball with the Bronx Bombers



Baseball is a game of intensity.
Baseball is a game of tranquility.
Baseball is a game of patience.
Baseball is a game of concentration.
Baseball is a game of physical strength.
Baseball is a game of mental strength.
Baseball is a game that you could hate one second and love the next.
Baseball is my favorite sport to watch.
Baseball is a game I treasure.
Baseball to me means the New York Yankees.

The New York Yankees are very important to me. They are something I have been passionate about since I was a little girl. They are a thing of my childhood that has made amazing memories, since about 1996. 1996 was a time when I first started learning of the game of baseball. I first learned of the game of baseball at my grandmother’s house as I was trying to stay a distance from my older brother so that we wouldn’t fight. I would drift away from the boring conversation of the adults and go to the couch and television where my uncle sat to watch the Yankees. I would sit with him and watch uninterested, but I sat and heard my uncle cheering, I became more interested in finding out what he was cheering for. I began to learn that every time a pinstriped player hit a ball that wasn’t caught, was a time for cheering. I would then ask question about what the point of the game was and I slowly began to learn and love the game and the Yankees. Each time now, (which was almost every night) when I went to my grandmother’s house my first and last stop would be at the couch to watch the game with my uncle.

As the baseball season went on in 96’ and I knew the basics of the game, I learned that October was a very important time for baseball, and this year it was especially important for the Yankees. The Yankees made it into what I now know is called the postseason. I knew that this meant the Yankees had a chance of becoming champions of baseball. So as the Yankees battled successfully through the postseason, they finally came down to battling the Atlanta Braves to get their chance at becoming champs. I don’t remember vividly about who had the lead in the series or anything like that, all I remember is the awesome celebration after watching the Yankees become champions. I remember the cheers and shouts of excitement from many of my family members, after watching the game together. Times like this are some of the happiest memories I had when I was little. The Yankees made some good memories for my family and I and I hope their will be future memories, even though the Yankees haven’t done that as great this last few years as they had done in 1996.

After the celebration of the Yankees winning the World Series in 1996, I learned that there was a Yankee parade. I had no idea that the Yankees got a parade for winning a game of baseball, but it excited me, and when I found out my uncle was taking me I grew ecstatic. Going to this parade for the first and definitely not the last time I didn’t know what to expect, so when I got there and saw the players that I now knew after watching many games, I looked on with a blank stare. I was in shock to see the very players I watched on T.V., right in front of me. Besides that great part of the parade I never knew of such a celebration where you get showered with shredded paper flying out of the tall building surrounding you and where toilet paper was used to throw around in celebration. I loved this whole atmosphere and I wouldn’t trade this parade in for any other. All of this combined is how I grew to LOVE the Yankees and no matter how horrible they’re doing I will always be a faithful Yankee fan and I will wait how ever long it takes for the Yankees to win another World Series title, so that I could go to my favorite parade in the entire world.

No comments: