Monday, October 22, 2007

The Best Feeling Ever!

I love to do community service when I can. It is something that brings me warmth and happiness knowing I am doing something for someone else. Doing something little for a little amount of time seems like it doesn’t help at all, but I really think it really does. I had a great experience volunteering at the Light the Night Walk that I will not forget.

At the Light the Night Walk there were so many great things going on, but one thing I remember the most was the people that were coming in to walk. I remember this because that day I saw lots of sad faces and lots of happy faces. The sad faces were on people who lost someone very important to them from a blood cancer and the happy faces were one of survivors. That day many emotions were stirred up and it was a very meaningful day to respect loved one who have fought with cancer and won and the many that were being remembered because they fought to the very best of they’re ability. This overall was very memorable for me because my mom had a type of cancer in the blood and she was one of the fighters and winners. That day I could sense the feelings of why the walk is something important to them and I can relate to all of them remembering the good and bad that came and went with the diseases that one has suffered.

Another memorable experience at the Night the Light Walk was blowing up the balloons for the event. This was a great experience because I have never done anything with the Light the Night Walk before and I didn’t know how many people came out to support it, so by blowing up thousands of balloons some for the survivors and others for supporters, I got a great sense of how great of a thing people are doing, just blowing up balloons and realizing that there were many people and more are planning to show up. It was amazing seeing being able to hand out balloons to the survivors. You get a great view of the courageous and thankful people who have almost lost everything.

This was an unforgettable experience that I will always remember. I had a lot of happy times helping out, but also sad times seeing some wear t-shirts of lost loved ones. Overall this made a strong impact on me and I continue to go help out at the Light the Night Walks each year that I can hopefully attend.

No comments: