Monday, September 24, 2007

College is not high school

The first day of college was very interesting. For once in my life I wasn't nervous going to school on the first day, but later on after the first day of college and the first week I realized I should be. I didn't know anyone and didn't know how the whole college atmosphere worked, so as i walked from class to class I got nervous. Leaving my first class I was oblivious to what the teacher had said and nervous about the syllabus that i received. I have never had a syllabus before that, so I vastly became overwhelmed by this.There was so much work crammed into the syllabus and I had no idea when everything was going to get done. I was always given project and assignments a couple weeks or a month before it was due, but having it all put out on the first day of class put alot of stress on my shoulders.

This was quite different from high school because in high school I would do absolutely nothing for the first couple days, but now I had to be ready and able to work in class on the first day. Another thing that is different about school is that they definitely dont baby you in college, which could possibly be good or bad. You are definitely given a big chance to grow up in college which I like, but I dislike that you sometimes have to figure out things out on your own. I am the kind of person that needs things set out crystal clear and in some classes I haven't received that.

Now having been almost a month into the school year I have learned how to juggle everything and have learned to figure things out on my own. School has finally turned out better than I ever imaged and am now happy to be a college student.

No comments: