Monday, November 12, 2007

Broadway Bliss!


Singing, dancing, comedy, drama, and happiness all in one equals Broadway. Broadway presents a variety of shows from How the Grinch Stole Christmas, to Rent, to The Producers, to Jersey Boys, and just about everything and anything in between. Each show is original and dazzles in its own way.

Broadway plays are something I always wanted to experience and I finally had my chance to now in college. For class I was assigned to go see one Broadway play out of a great amount of choices. The plays that I was able to choose from were Rent, Les Miserables, The Color Purple, Pygmalion, Hairspray, Wicked, and Avenue Q. It was a tough decision, but with the choices all being phenomenal and not being able to make a decision, I chose the play most of my friends were going to see. The decision came down to Rent. I was so excited because I have heard so many great things about this play and many other plays and I did not know what to expect.

Rent, which is written by Jonathan Larson, is an appealing play that is about a filmmaker and a musician who can’t seem to pay their rent. During their process of making it along without electricity and with little money they encounter numerous old friends and new ones that help try to comfort each other. They all have problems of their own from break-ups, to having AIDS, and to dealing with deaths. They all somehow overcome these hurdles and come together to enjoy an appreciate life.

I thought the play was great. There were some incredible singers, one being American Idol contestant Tamyra Gray, who was outstanding. Each cast member put on a serious, yet sometimes-funny act, which was quite entertaining. My favorite character in the play was Angel. Angel was a transvestite/musician who livened up everyone. He made the show fun and exciting to watch.

My experience of my first Broadway play was enjoyable and I can’t wait to head out to NYC to see another one.

No comments: